Monday 1 February 2016

The tale of two premiums


A short while after starting Armored Warfare, I was already considering my premium options and knew that upper tiered tanks were going to be the way to go for me. After experimenting with regular dealer tree Main Battle Tanks, feeling very familiar to the Heavy Tanks I played with in World of Tanks, I decided this would be my route to the top.

The tier VI MBT-70 was being touted as the most over powered premium in the game, reading this over and over on the forums and came close to picking up the original version from the Wölfli tree. Then, the MERC editions came out. With cool looking paint and that red skull on the side of the turret, I was hooked.




Here is a recent example of what I would consider an average game in mine. I don't think I did too bad, but I see lots that I could have done better.


By the numbers, it is a solid performer. With the commander, crew and choice of retro-fits, the only remaining issue I have with this tank is the reload speed, which can be a painful experience when your intended target is driving away, or claimed by a teammate.


Enter the tier VI Leopard 2AV ICE. I knew something was up with these versions of premium tanks when the complaints started to roll in on the forums. All the benefits of a regular dealer tree tank, without the grind and premium bonuses to top things off. I read what I could on these and the regular version tanks, then made my move.




Another example of an average game from me in my Snow Cat. Like the MBT-70 MERC battle above, a lot more I could have done better.


The Leopard 2AV is a very different animal (yeah, but I couldn't resist) than the MBT-70. Faster reload times that trades off some of the other's nearly impenetrable armor, brings a much different skill level to using this machine. The MBT-70 is almost a rolling bunker, similar to my tier VIII premium KV-5 in World of Tanks, without the glaring weakspots. Another good comparison would be to my Chieftain Mk V, with the Chief being better. The Leo ICE is more akin to a thicker armored Panther mit 8,8, or a better version of the Leopard 1, a good tank you don't want to get caught alone in.


In the very short time I have been playing Armored Warfare, I feel the MBT-70 has already been left behind by the changes to the game that have come over the patches since it was released. The coined term is called Power Creep. Premium tanks, based on my experience, are a time capsule, forever stuck at the time of their introduction, unless serious changes are implemented by the developers.

The Leopard 2AV ICE doesn't feel like it's frozen in time (yeah, I did it again), compared to the MBT-70. Mirroring it's dealer tree counterpart, it brings more of a level flexibility that I can't quite put my finger on. However, it has swayed my opinion that purchasing another original premium tank, no matter how colorful it's packaged, might not be such a good idea.

On the other hand, if future ICE editions, meaning dealer tree tanks that have been converted to a premium, with a new and catchy title are released, I might be more inclined to pick one up.


So, after writing all of the above, I took my MBT-70 out for another battle, in an attempt to see if my observations would hold true, or not.




I put a lot effort to maximize my performance, deliver as much damage as possible and play the tank to all it's strengths. While I did collect much better returns than my first posted screenshots from the battle, on top this wall of text, I remain convinced the Leopard 2AV ICE will be the better credit earner between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment