Saturday 12 December 2015

That old saying of a few bad apples

Some would say it's human nature to judge a Community as whole, based on the negative actions of a few individuals. Perhaps, this could be true and become the accepted norm these days, but it doesn't have to be this way.  The same could be said for magnifying a person's mistakes and/or poor choices, ridiculing them into shame based on ignorance or the circumstance behind their decision.

I can remember, long ago when the World of Tanks forums was a much friendlier place. New and established players could ask questions and get reasonable answers. Sure, there might be a few playful jabs thrown back in forth, but there was a certain degree of esprit de corps among the virtual tankers there. I am not exactly sure where this was lost over the years....

Case in point....


On the WOT/NA forums, I came across this topic http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/476643-kv-5-i-hear-is-really-bad-true/ and took a chance to take part in the conversation. I posted the above picture, with the intent of showing a player's rage of getting removed from the game, thanks to a below average player in a KV-5. I was trying to show the tank is mostly hit-and-miss in my hands, but hoped it might start a thinking process for much better players to consider picking one up for themselves.


Then, it started. Some players looked past the intent of the screenshot and went looking for what they wanted to find; ammunition for shame and ridicule. I have seen this before, players have posted screenshots and/or replays, in the past and up to modern times, asking for help, advice or have their gameplay critiqued. More often than not, that question is ignored, by some and door gets opened for other things to get discussed, usually not in the players best positive interest.

This has lead to the reputation the forum has earned, from around this real and virtual world. Sad really, that so few have ruined it for so many, for so long and it still continues. 

Just like the example above.


Despite the fact, seen very clearly in the screenshot, I collected two kills, the most for the team I was on at the time, certain people became focused on the fact I had a camouflage net and binoculars equipped on this heavy tank. My elephant picture and caption was my response to that, but it was mostly ignored and no doubt, the ridicule will continue in my absence. 



To be perfectly fair, I can still spot those good apples in the barrel, who can see the picture, for what it's worth and the intent behind it.

Thanks, no really, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment