Tuesday 15 December 2015

Before I crack the Schnapps, some tea

With my Battle of the Bulge themed gameplay across all three of my tank titles starting soon, I have to get the latest War Thunder update out of the way first.


Anybody familiar with World of Tanks should recognize this one, the mighty Tetrach. Except, this version isn't so mighty, yet. Coming into the game at the Reserve rank (think of it as about tier I) and with no upgrades, manned by an untrained crew, it was painful to play.


Also adding to the mix, I throw a Reserve rank, the A13 Mk.I together with a WOT lower tier legend and take to the battlefield. As luck would have it, I get a chance to check out something else that was added with the 1.55 update, the map Tunisia.


No big surprise here, first day updates bring about all the new toys to be played with, since both teams consisted of nothing but Reserve and rank I British assets. The upside, the map, what little I did see of it, looked fantastic. The African visuals were detailed to the point where I felt tempted to turn on the air-conditioning in real life. The downside, my initial feeling that since this was a three point Domination map, things wouldn't bode well for my team.


Yeah, I played poorly and paid for it. Rushing in where angels fear to tread and getting my tank knocked out from under me. With only two tanks in my British lineup, I couldn't take full advantage of the three respawns that Arcade mode had to offer. Much to my surprise, my team didn't really need me and pulled of the win.


All in all, I logged three battles with my new British iron, one victory and the rest were defeats. Not to use this as an excuse, but another part of my problem was getting used to how Gaijin does things differently with Ground Forces, after playing Armored Warfare and World of Tanks, which share a very similar gameplay feel. I need to remind myself, in the future, to slow down and think things out more carefully.


A screenshot I snapped as I was on my way back to the garage, during the last battle on Ash River, right before things went very badly for my team. Interesting comment, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment