Wednesday 9 December 2015

A king with obvious weaknesses

I can remember, with absolute clarity, how I got my first tier VIII premium vehicle in World of Tanks....


....because it will take me years, if I ever complete this task, to correct the damage to my publicly perceived stats in attaining it. However, a small, ongoing price to pay for my prize.


With my second tier VIII vehicle, the Soviet Heavy Tank, KV-5, the details are somewhat cloudy. If my failing memory serves me right, I believe there was a sale before WarGaming pulled it from both the Gift Shop and ingame store, before the 7.5 update http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/changes-game-shop/

I also remember I did a pile of research before I handed over the real world money to pick one up. I read tons of reviews, some even through Google Translate, watched numerious videos on Youtube and other sources. Having gone done the KV line and putting both an IS-4 and IS-7 in my garage, I had gotten used to the armor-dependent playstyle. The KV-5 would be the crown of my Soviet Heavy lines, more so then the tempting purchase of it's replacement....


....the IS-6. Even with better armor and a gun that packed much more of a punch, the KV-5 presented itself as a challenge I wanted to take on, a glaring point of venerability that more experienced players could and would exploit over the years....


Nicknamed R2D2, this was the very Achilles Heel of this tank (not really shown like this in game, just putting this out there), right out front for all to shoot at. From the time I put mine into service and right up to this very day, I have practiced techniques to mitigate this weakness and improved on my contribution factor when I queue up with the KV-5.

Sometimes, nothing I do makes any difference for my team. I take out or damage the wrong opponents, go the wrong spot on the map, slowly lumbering down the wrong route to get there and a bunch of other terrible stuff....




....only to end the battle in a glorious defeat. Then, on those rare moments when the stairs line up....




....I collect on a lackluster victory. It's funny how those Random Battles can go, despite being the only constant between these two example, back to back games.


I guess what I am trying to say is this, despite the ongoing mixed results from playing my KV-5, I have no regrets of ever putting this into my garage. The only reason I bring all of this up is the fact there will be an opportunity for other players to pick one up themselves http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/december-2015/

Or, if you so choose, the newest Soviet tier VIII premium Heavy Tank, IS-3A....


....should be available, through the Gift Shop and/or ingame store, in the very near future. Not a sales plug, just a suggestion for your consideration, from the old guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment