Friday 11 December 2015

A smooth surprise

With this time of year, comes a tradition from the two established tank titles of acquiring a vehicle that won't become available too often afterwards.


Last year, World of Tanks put this, tier II German Light Tank, Pz II D, in my garage, if I logged in http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/new-year-marathon-wz-111/ during a certain time period. They did the same thing in previous years too, but for those that missed out, WarGaming has sold those limited time Christmas tanks in off-season bundles since. Weren't around to collect that Tetrarch and/or T1E6? No problem! Just wait around long enough and they will be back in the Gift Shop, sometime. I haven't seen the British Light Mk. VIC offered, yet....


War Thunder likes to do things a little different. Last year was their first foray with tanks, so in keeping with their unique philosophy of making their playerbase earn a seasonal reward, they produced a butt numbing series of missions for the rank I M8A1 American Tank Destroyer. Nineteen days I would had to have login and make an attempt to meet the requirements, with a slim chance along the way of just winning one at random. I got the plane, rank I Soviet Fighter, I-301, but was too worn out to go any further for the tank.


However, Gaijin relented a little, partly from the outcry of the playerbase and slipped in a token mission for a seasonal tank. From 31 December 2014 to 2 January 2015 http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/201962-winter-holiday-specials/ , all I had to do was login, win a single battle using any American tank and collect a rank I premium M2A4 (1st Armored Division)for my efforts. To me, this seemed to be a better alternative then investing in nineteen days or the off chance of receiving the M8A1.


Now, it's Armored Warfare's first kick at the Christmas can and what a shot from the dark they took. The screenshot is from their teaser video and....well....check it out for yourself....


Yeah, the overwhelming consensus is this will be the Type 59 as their first Christmas tank. For WOT players in AW, this could very well be the only time/way to get this mythical tank. However, let's put it into perspective here.

In World of Tanks, the tier VIII premium Chinese Medium Tank,Type 59, enjoyed being sold from September 2011 http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/58908-world-of-tanks-v67-update/ to January 2012 http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/19/type-59-game-store-removal/ Although the controversy of why it was removed has been muddied over time, here is my memory of this tank and why it got pulled.


I came to World of Tanks in October, about one month after the Type 59 was put into the game. As I slowly climbed up through the tiers, I discovered a nightmare was waiting for me when I hit tier V. Between running my M4 Sherman, KV (there wasn't a KV-1 or KV-2 back then, just the one tank) and my then recently acquired Ram II premium tank, I became nothing more than a snack to mass platoons of Type 59 players.


Sadly, I don't have any screenshots from back then, but this picture will give a basic idea of what I am talking about. Simply put, WarGaming created a tank that was slightly above any same tier tech tree counterpart, players bought them based on that discussed fact and with the price of only 7200 Gold, if I remember right, proceeded to create mass platoons, known as Wolfpacks. The claim of this breaking the game from the playerbase helped to bring about the tank being pulled.

Then, over the years and through many opportunities as a prize in contests and other events, people have had chances to add one to their garage ever since. The hype has never gone away, despite owners of this tank trying to downplay the qualities of this vehicle to the masses, convinced it is some kind of super machine.

In Armored Warfare, the Type 59 will be either a tier II or III Main Battle Tank, separate from the dealers, much like the T-62 Veteran is. It won't be a premium tank (I am lead to believe this, but if I am wrong....) but another another vehicle to have some fun with. Who knows, there could be a resurgance in the Wolfpacks with this tank here....

On a side note, the results from the second Black Friday Lottery came in https://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?50868-Black-Friday-Lottery-Results-Round-2 seems my last attempt came up empty, just like the first. Meh, oh well, moving on....

*UPDATE* Seems the Type 59 for Christmas from Armored Warfare will indeed be a premium tank, sourced from here http://armoredtalk.com/2015/12/11/armored-warfares-upcoming-mystery-tank-is-a-premium-vehicle/

No comments:

Post a Comment