Tuesday 15 December 2015

An inspired action

Popular history has recorded that between 16 December 1944 and 25 January 1945, one of the greatest tank battles took place in Europe. The Germans called it Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein, the Allies labeled it as the Ardennes Counteroffensive, we know it as....


Although it took place in the realm of World War II, I have decided to use it as a theme for gameplay across all three tank titles. In World of Tanks and War Thunder Ground Forces, I will use only Wehrmacht Panzers (the only exception to this, if some fantastic special or limited time event takes place and the reward from doing that is irresistibly worth it). In Armored Warfare, I will start from Bundeswehr offerings and progress my way up through the unified German timeline (same conditions apply to an out of the blue event, ermahgerd mustcermpletit).

As I login to each game, I will show my starting point, document progress, along with tech tree and premium purchases. Of course I will share some greatest hits and forgettable misses along the way. It won't be a race, but a change in playstyle from what I have grown quite comfortable with I will explain more as this project unfolds.

So, I will start things off by laying out my plans in Armored Warfare first.


Recently, I unlocked and purchased the tier III Leopard I, but haven't used it in any battles. I have been waiting to use it and with planning this little event for myself for some time, I will roll it out for it's first sortie very soon.


Simply put, I will see just how far I go up the Leopard line, before the event timeline expires.


For Commander training and credit generation, my premium tier VI MBT-70 Merc will be used, since it was originally a joint venture project between  the United States and West Germany. Except for the incoming premium Type 59, our Christmas gift this year from AW, which I just have to play a few rounds in, the Leopard and MBT-70 will be used solely and exclusively.

Next, comes World of Tanks.


Just a short while ago, this was my German progress. The last new tank to be added to the line was the tier II premium Light Tank Pz IID, a Christmas gift from WarGaming. Everything else you see here has been sitting in my garage for well over a year, perhaps even longer than that.



Now, I have expanded on it, in very short order. First, I bought back (thanks in part to currently running ingame discounts) the tier VII VK 30.02 D Medium Tank, something I owned long ago and didn't do so well in. Adding to that, I picked up a never-before-played-by-me and iconic German Medium, the tier VII Panther. Finally, to round things out....


....I spent some real world money and purchased a tier VIII premium. The last higher tiered premium to be added to my garage was the tier VIII French Heavy Tank, FCM 50t, well over two years ago. Plus, I was a sucker for a sale.

From everything I have read about this Panther mit 8,8 has gotten a bit of a unfavorable reputation. Firstly, it doesn't have preferential MatchMaking, meaning I can and probably will see tier X action. If that happens and I keep my senses about me, I could rack in some decent credits and experience for the crew manning it. If not, I will be a quick snack for those who will make very short work of me.

It's the frailty of the tank that appeals to me. I have gotten too used to rolling out in a steel wall on tracks, laughing away as shots get bounced off and I continue to fight on with almost full impunity. I want to challenge myself by going to the opposite end of the spectrum and the Panther mit 8,8 will be a hard, crash course to see if I can do this, or not.

However, my other, much older premium selection could be rotated in, but the higher credit and experience potential from running the Panther mit 8,8 might be enough to financially sustain my German actions.


As you can see, I have progressed down the German lines over the years. Frankly, I am just looking at playing them more exclusively as a change of pace and self challenge. And, if rumors hold true....


....the tier III premium Light Tank, Toldi III could be added to everyone's garage. The bonus rumor....


....the unreleased tier VIII premium Medium Tank, Pz 58 Mutz could be the reward for a Mission, sometime in January. Two rumors for sure, which one will come to pass?

As for War Thunder, update 1.55 was just released and I will share my plans there, once my client is all ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment