Sunday 8 January 2017

Swingfire and Burn


Of the big the changes coming to Armored Warfare in the next update, one that I took a strong notice of is the big push for more missile armed vehicles in the mid to upper tiers. An early tip-off was the current premium M1134 ATGM slated to move up from tier VII to VIII (I considered buying one during the Christmas sale, but I didn't and will explain below).

While I have used missile equipped assets before, these were a supplementary armament to compliment installed cannons, never as the sole weapon choice. However, with the dealer tree tier IV Swingfire planned to be moved to tier VI, I thought I would get it now and possibly cash in latter.


First order of business, purchase and play the tier III XM800T. After four battles (three wins and a defeat), I calculated on just how long it would take to, through natural progression, unlock the Swingfire. I didn't like the look of the numbers and used Global Reputation to bypass that ordeal.



Spend a lot and get back a nice, partial refund for increasing my already overpopulated garage.


A quick Commander switch (I gambled on a fully trained Rashid Al-Atassi, since his ATGM skills looked the most promising), installed a single higher damage retrofit and off I went....


Seems I might have validated my apprehension on not purchasing the M1134 ATGM. Much like the Tank Destroyers in Armored Warfare, the Swingfire isn't a frontline fighter (I already knew this, but still played much too aggressively near the end of this match). However, TD's can hangout and pull off a few shots, then retreat, taking a few hits and usually surviving.

My experience with the Swingfire would suggest I should not play that way, but more of a second/rear line support vehicle with good lines of sight on the action, as it unfolds. Now, I am not making any claims to be an "instant expert" after this one and only battle, thus far, but merely reviewing what I consider to be my "right moves" vs "charging in, gun blazing" that ended my more active participation in the outcome.

Kudos to Sick_N_Move, the team's artillery player, for keeping a cool head and saving the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment