Monday 2 January 2017

I saw it in a movie once, The Interview (2014)


The Interview was a 2014 blended movie of comedy, political satire and espionage, involving a talk show host, his producer, the CIA, North Korea and a puppy. Yeah, then throw in all the controversy that came along with the planned released, such as Columbia Pictures/Sony Pictures Entertainment being hacked by a group calling themselves "Guardians of Peace."


I have seen James Franco before (in Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Oz the Great and Powerful), I am not a big fan of Seth Rogen (I will never forgive nor forget what he did to the Green Hornet, how that could have been a really good movie, in my opinion) and Randall Park is relatively unknown to me (I checked him out and he is in movies and TV shows I wouldn't normally watch). However, there is that tank....


"It was a gift to my grandfather from Stalin"

Actually, it wasn't. The armored vehicle is in fact a 1966 ZTS Martin T55A, built in Czechoslovakia. Imported to Canada from the United Kingdom in 2007, it's now part of the collection at the Canadian Military Education Centre in Chilliwack, British Columbia (most up to date information comes from March, 2016).

Assuming it's about as original as can be, it could still have a V-55A, a 12 cylinder, four-stroke diesel engine, putting out around 570 horsepower, good enough to get to a top speed of 30 mph (50 km/h for the rest of you) on flat and level ground. I doubt the D10-T2S 100 mm main cannon, nor PKT 7,62 mm coaxial machine gun/vz.36/48M DShKM 12,7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun are functioning, as intended.


Still, if you can put the rest of The Interview aside (if that's your kind of humor, watch it by all means) just to see this tank in action on the screen, it would be well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment