Tuesday 10 January 2017

From the Modern Age to Alternative History


For the longest time, if a person wanted to play a decent, online tank game, there was only one real choice on the market. World of Tanks has certainly left a presence, both positive and negative, in the minds of current and former players and on the video game landscape for years to come.

I admit, I got swept up with the times and played the game rather steady during those first, few years. I cover my beginnings in brief through one of my early posts on this very blog and told a few sporadic stories along the way. To make a long story short, the reasons I stopped as of this last April was that I found (at the time) more of what I was looking for in Armored Warfare and spent most of my time there.

Plus, I felt the game itself had lost a bit of the original direction it had set out on, such as the inclusion of highly "dubious" blueprint designs to fill the voids that reality never created. However, being a hypocrite, I had enjoyed some of those "fake tanks" since there was a creative liberty that WarGaming could take and some of them are plausible enough for me to take a small leap of faith to accept.

After my long absence, the first vehicle I decide to take for a spin on the battlefield just happens to be one of my favored Tank Destroyers, the British AT-15a. The only thing that I have come across that gives this machine any kind of legitimacy is this copy of a design drawing held at Bovington Museum in Dorset, South West England....


....which would be modified and become a reality in this....


....A39 Tortoise heavy assault tank. Sadly, of the six prototype built, one complete and running example survives today (two others exist, but nothing more than empty shells used for target practice).

Anyways, back to returning to World of Tanks. I queued up in my tier VII premium and readied myself for the battle. Although I am not a competitive player, as others have been portrayed in other YouTube videos or the forums, I do remember the maps and know how one single vehicle can stall the action....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment