Saturday 24 December 2016

Sayonara, War Thunder


Well, I made an attempt to collect the Type-95 Ha-Go Commander being offered as a prize in War Thunder. Despite the low requirements, I just couldn't fight through the frustrating experience to continue on.


Looks easy, huh? I thought so too, but seems I have been away for too long and forget the major differences on how Gaijin programs their version of the ground game vs WarGaming and Obsidian do theirs. Here is the first battle back, since last playing the game in April....


As you can see, my plan to collect this year's Christmas tank by using last year's didn't work out all too well. After a very brief consideration process, I queued up with some of my Soviet vehicles for attempt number three (number two ended the same way as number one)....


Okay, here is how I perceive things after coming back and just after these three battles. First, armor effectiveness feels like it is merely a roll of the dice, sometimes it works as intended, other times, not so much. However, some players who took me out of action seemed to know exactly where to shot me, if the instant replay is an accurate indicator of "just occurred" events.

Secondly, the drive characteristics of the vehicles and the terrain? I understand that Gaijin wants a certain element of realism to this game, but I wish they might considered toning that down in Arcade Mode at least (it has always been there, but I really took notice of it today), which is designed for the more causal player to go and hang out.

Finally, the aiming mechanism itself. I get the concept of "shell drop" and raising recital to compensate for it, if only I could see the enemy vehicles that are shooting at me first! Spotting is too easily broken once line of sight is lost and being able to maintain any visual contact, via friendly comrades who still have eyes on the target, doesn't seem to exist.

These are my big three dislikes that I took strong notice during my games back. I sit here, even now, trying to figure out how I played Ground Forces before and got any enjoyment out of it.


So, after that, I have no desire to sit through an even longer ordeal in any attempt to collect a LVT ZiS-2 and/or Type 62.

Yeah, I am done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment