Friday 21 April 2017

Trial by Frost


Last December, I made this post....

During this Holiday Season, I have wondered into the other tank lines to prepare for some of the announced changes coming up in the next update. One of those is the removal/replacement of the XM1 Main Battle Tank at tier VI.

I had and still hold out hope that players who own this tank will either be given it back once it becomes a premium (stated many times on the forums this will not happen, but I have this feeling it's not the absolute final word on this matter) or a mission to acquire one will appear in a future update (more than likely, another time consuming grind-fest in PvP, something I will not be interested in).

Time will tell which way things go with this vehicle.


Now, it turns out that just having the previous, non-premium version and playing a few battles paid off. In a way, I am surprised, but at the same time, I am not. Let me explain....


Fives years ago, Wargaming decided to change up World of Tanks in a very dramatic way, especially the American Heavy line. For a year before, rumors circulated about the then current tier IX T34 Heavy Tank being replaced and to be moved down to a tier VIII premium, with adjusted characteristics of course.

To "sweeten the deal," it was confirmed that players who had this vehicle in their garage at the time of the 7.2 Update, back in April of 2012. Many cashed in on this (including myself), others still found a way to complain about the missed opportunity, despite the lengthy chance to do so.

Part of the reason why Wargaming did this was a "word of mouth" marketing ploy, which worked out well for those folks during that time period. Also, there was a lot of....unrest in the community and as a token of appeasement to smooth things over, players collected a high tier premium asset.

Based on recent events in Armored Warfare, I see some strong parallels concerning the magical appearance of a premium XM1 in my garage. I am not complaining, I accept this with wide open arms.    


Once again, like the previously played Challenger 1 Wolf, I had to pick new Commander....


....and Crew skills. Sadly, I didn't get top level people, but one skill is better than none.


A quick re-balance of the ammunition....


....a limited retrofit install and a splash of paint. Should be good to go....


No comments:

Post a Comment