Wednesday 17 February 2016

Imagine if Armored Warfare had a coin-op clone?


I stumbled across this demo called Gear Guns, during my many searches on the internet for modern tank related information. Being the curious type that I am, I downloaded it from here https://gearguns.itch.io/gearguns

The demo installer is around 180 megabytes and expands out to around 600 megabytes. So, what is it?


In a nutshell, it's a single player, one life (with health-ups) alien invasion shot-em-up, using a modified Abrams tank.


Here is one of the health-ups and stationary power-up against an incoming alien wave. The graphics are decent, if you are looking around the tank itself and the immediate surrounding area. Around the edges of my monitor, there is some odd 3D effect, colors are off, along with the focus.


Although not a quite an open world, I did get to explore a lot of the map provided, taking in some of the scenery and subtle hints of what lay ahead. The basic WASD controls for the tank are here, rotating the turret with the mouse as well. However, the only customization for the tank is the choice of ordinance. The mouse wheel gives the selection of main cannon shells, machine guns....


....and a flamethrower. Two big gripes I have is that I couldn't lock the turret and have a look around, along with no zoom function.


Okay, these guys are out to get me! Finding opponents is fairly simple, either they spawn and rush you, knocking the tank about, or they show up on the radar in the upper right hand corner, before rushing you, knocking your tank about.


Yeah, they even come supersized. The first of two bosses on the bridge, the flamethrower makes short work of them.


What's on the other side of the bridge? No idea and since I can't save the game, I had better make this one life count as I find out. Besides, how much worse can things get?


No comments:

Post a Comment