Sunday 1 May 2016

My Top 3 List for Good Premiums


Before I go any further, I don't want this to be interpreted as an Armored Warfare buyer's guide of any kind, nor am I making any suggestions to purchase the following. This short list is based on my own experiences with these vehicles and could be chalked full of bias, since they either mesh well with my playstyle, or not.


#3 Tier V WZ-1224.

Despite the very short period of time owning this, coupled with a bad first battle to start things off with, I believe this could be my mid tier gem.

I resisted buying this vehicle for the longest time, for a few reasons. First, I collected a same tier Chieftain Mk VI, so I didn't think I would be needing another premium Main Battle Tank for tier V. However, as I mentioned elsewhere, the Chieftain doesn't do so well in my hands in the PvP environment, prompting me to find an alternative.

Secondly, when it was originally introduced, the enticement to purchase it then was to unlock Zhang Feng and his vehicle offerings. I choose the other approach and just ground out the necessary reputation to accomplish this, thanks to a secondary means.

It was a recent battle that I wrote about, coupled with a discount, that finally put one into my garage. Unlike my other premiums, this is a regularly available version, with a crew that starts from nothing, no bonuses in skills or anything else. So, all the pains of using a Chinese vehicle have to be worked out, like the slow traversing turret among other things. Once the crew gets trained up, this and the other annoyances should be taken care of.

The main selling point was that thick frontal armor, which fits into my playstyle of playing nearly invincible vehicles. I want to stress the word nearly here. More experienced players who have faced 1224's as opponents have learned where to shoot at, something I will have to be mindful of in the future.


It is currently available through the ingame Zhang Feng dealer for 1500 Gold (full price).


#2 Tier VI MBT-70 MERC.

The very first premium vehicle I purchased just barley made this list, a tough choice between it and the same tier Leopard 2AV ICE. The tipping point for the MBT-70 was....the armor. Despite what you might have read on the forums or heard from others, the armor on this machine still works very well.

While the Leopard ICE wins out with a faster reload and more accurate cannon, the MBT-70 is surprisingly nimble and when the gun is ready to fire, can deliver a knockout blow of epic visual proportions. The major frustration of this vehicle is the glacial reload, I have lost count on how many kills that got away while I was waiting.

I won't lie here, there were times where I doubted myself for purchasing this vehicle and even went a long stretch of time not even playing it. However, I came back to the MBT-70 and worked through it's shortcomings and adjusted my use of it, delivering some very satisfying results.


Although the MERC edition isn't currently available (it may come back in the future, either for purchase or part of a promotion of some kind), the MBT-70 can be picked up through the Sophie Wölfli dealer for 3250 Gold (full price).


#1 Tier VII Challenger 1 WOLF.

Anybody who has been reading my stuff for any length of time shouldn't be too surprised to see this vehicle here.

Honestly, I was back and forth on purchasing this for a long time. First, I would talk myself into it, thanks in part to the introduction of the same tier M1134 premium ATGM Tank Destroyer and reading the reviews/watching the videos on it. Then, I would talk myself out of it, since I found the package price a bit....steep.

The pre-release information on the same tier Merkava IIb had me really reconsidering my choice of picking one of those up. Then, thanks in a huge part to a recent ingame event, I was able to acquire the Chally WOLF at a very substantial discount. A choice I have zero regrets over.

In a nutshell, the WOLF edition is all the good, rolling bunker times I had in my regular Challenger 1 with the additional credit and reputation earning, far above what just battle hardening the tech tree version would deliver. Plus, I like the paint scheme.


Like the MERC/ICE editions, this vehicle isn't currently available (keep an eye on the main Armored Warfare portal, you never know). However the tech tree Challenger 1 is free, if you put in the time and effort to get one.


No comments:

Post a Comment