Thursday 4 July 2019

Object 490B "Belka"


At the time of this posting, the Moscow Calling update for Armored Warfare has been Live for 9 days and I have finally encountered my first tier X Object 490 premium MBT from the Age of Rage campaign.

However, there were a few things upon seeing it that started to bug me.


Although not an exact duplicate of the M808 Scorpion Main Battle Tank from the Halo series, some the design features of the Object 490 immediately brought the Scorpion to my mind (namely the "quad-pod" tracks).


Another vehicle that came to mind was the German Jagdpanzer IV L-70, because of the sloping (but not nearly the extreme angles the Object 490 has) and the central cannon placement on the front.  

Once I put together the visuals of this new machine, I decided to take another look at the history of it, as published in Armored Warfare's original article. Despite all the information they presented, I felt there was a quite a bit missing and I was right.


Firstly, there were a few variants of Object 490 and the one chosen for Armored Warfare was the B or "Belka" (much like the XM1 tier VI premium vehicle were two separate models, one built by Chrysler and the one that made it ingame, constructed by General Motors). I felt somewhat deceived into thinking there was only one Object 490, since that was the way the article seemed to be written.

During my search for more information on this particular vehicle and thanks to Google translate, I came across this, containing a lot more details on the Object 490 variants.

No comments:

Post a Comment