Sunday 10 March 2019

Níor tharla an t-uasghrádú riamh


When I recently played the tier III FV101 Scorpion in Armored Warfare, I had this feeling I had seen this vehicle before....

After a little rapid research, I came across a few online articles of it's use with the Irish Army Cavalry Corps (which cleared up the mystery for me, since I had looked up previous and present armored assets in Irish service quite some time ago and it had faded from recent memory).

Originally taken on strength in the early to mid 1980's, fourteen units, armed with the 76mm rifled main gun, helped to get the newly reformed 1st Tank Squadron get rolling (yeah, I couldn't resist that).

I had also read about many older discussions of possible upgrades, including the swapping out of the 76mm main gun to a more punchier and longer barrelled Cockerill Mk III 90mm, but this hasn't come to pass at the time of this writing (having been mostly replaced by the Swiss built Mowag Piranha IIIH in 2001 and South African RG-32M Light Tactical Armored Vehicle starting in 2010).

Despite the reality, I was naturally curious to see what the virtual IV FV101 Scorpion 90 would play like....

No comments:

Post a Comment