Monday 10 June 2019

Time Flew By


Without some kind of record of metrics, it's hard gauge how much time somebody has spent on something, how good they could possible be or even how much of an investment has been made.

I am not sure why, but I clicked on my Armored Warfare dossier and realized that I had reached a personal milestone of 4,000 battles. I know there are quite a few other players out there who have surpassed this count a long time ago, but for me, it was a trigger on how much has changed since I first got here and all the break and return trips I have made to this game.

Like a lot of other players, I came over from both World of Tanks and WarThunder Ground Forces.

One of the earliest appealing things Armored Warfare brought to the table was Player versus Environment action, something the other two titles didn't offer (and from what I understand, they still don't). Some will stand by their incorrect assertion this mode of play killed the Player versus Player of the game. If PvE was introduced much later, after the game had launched, I might be more inclined to agree with those false statements over the years, but since it has been around since the beginning, I don't.

To put it in other terms, if you open an ice cream stand and offer chocolate and vanilla flavors, but people only buy chocolate and you blame those people for killing your vanilla sales....seriously.

I was burnt out from playing the "random players thrown together into opposing teams." Granted, I have played a few PvP battles in Armored Warfare, it's PvE for why I keep coming back. I want to play a game for my own enjoyment and pursue goals of my choosing or interest, not for the "prestige of community status" nor approval of others. I also don't need the "test of skill" PvP is supposed to bring either, real life supplies a surplus of that almost daily.


If I want a challenge from the game itself, I just load up an upper tiered battle (as you can see, I spend a lot of time in that area, based on my stats) and pray I have competent teammates. Like World of Tanks and WarThunder, players have the option of buying high tiered premium vehicles without having any previous gameplay experience, which runs the high potential of being the cause of frustrations for those playing with them.

One of the biggest changes to Armored Warfare over these past three and a half years was the server merger. Gone are the separate North America, European Union and Russia zones, now just one Global machine is our electronic playground. Throw in the time zones, which can dictate the ebb and flow of the international server population and combine that with the skill levels of the players themselves (seen by my own eyes in Hardcore Mode) and any technical problems....goodtimes.

Despite all of that and more (like the whole Obsidian fiasco a few years back, the shutting down of the NA/EU forums, the ongoing Discord disaster and many former players who continue to trash talk the game, month or even years after they had walked away from it, since it doesn't fit the vision of what they wanted it to be and many, many other issues), I still keep coming back and play.

I have long since uninstalled World of Tanks and WarThunder and only look back out of nostalgia I have recorded on my own blog. I have no need or desire to run down things about those titles that I don't like or agree with. They are down for me, I am done with them. Like an ice cream shop that doesn't offer bubblegum flavor, I will wonder around until I found one that does and perhaps, become a repeat customer....


With that little rant out of the way, here is an exhibition battle with the tier VII Leopard 2 on Cavalry....

1 comment: