Thursday 26 November 2015

Starting things off with my new career in Armored Warfare

Documenting my past, present and future adventures through three mainstream tank games, World of Tanks, War Thunder Ground Forces and Armored Warfare, I present Tanking Tales.


I will start things off with Armored Warfare https://aw.my.com/us Now, this is a game I have been eyeing up causally for quite some time. I watched a few videos here and read a few reviews there. It wasn't until I saw this promotion https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/remember-our-veterans that I finally decided to give it a try, first hand. After downloading the massive (around 20 gigabytes) launcher and client, the game was installed and I started down the road of my third mainstream tank game.

Armored Warfare breaks their ingame assets, main battle tanks, light tanks, armored fighting vehicles, tank destroyers and self propelled guns into tiers. Currently, ten tiers are slated, but at the time of the posting, the highest tier available is nine.

The promotional tank, a Soviet/Russian T-62 Veteran Main Battle Tank, comes in at tier III. For reference, the same tank is also available in World of Tanks, the T-62A variant, at their tier X. This tank is rumored to come to War Thunder Ground Forces in a future update, at rank V, battle rank currently unknown.


The T-62 Veteran isn't a premium tank, meaning, that it doesn't have anything special over the regular dealer tree T-62 of the same tier, no credit or crew experience modifiers, but it didn't cost me any grinding time or money and comes with a pretty cool looking camouflage paint scheme. For me, I thought it would be a good way to jump right into the game and get a feel for it.


Having played two other tank titles, albeit from different companies, I felt pretty confident on what to expect, both from the game and my first time experience. I can say, I wasn't too surprised that it played like both the others, but I did enjoy some of the visual differences and unique touches that give this game it's own feeling and character.


So, after playing the game for less than two weeks, I have broke out of tier and proceeded to tier II with the T-54 MBT. I decided to go with the dealer named Marat Shishkin, who deals with both Eastern and Western European vehicles. Since I got into the game with a T-62 Veteran, it made sense to stick with the line that held the regular, learning and improving on the playstyle as I proceeded down that line.


I also did something that some may view as premature, buying a higher tiered premium tank. My answer to that would be yes and no. Yes, due to the fact my highest tier is III, from the T-62 Veteran Promotion, so I am still learning the game, to a point. A lot of the skills I have acquired from playing War Thunder Ground Forces and World of Tanks translate here, with little loss in the transition. My other answer, no, is because I don't plan on buying a pile of other premium tanks/wheeled attack vehicles, a trap I am trying to avoid repeating here, something I have done in the two other titles. One of my biggest and very costly mistakes was purchasing numerous lower tiered assets, when I should have just bought a few from the higher end.

Plus, I may be new to this game, but a bit of an old hat to the genre. So, that was my thought process this time around, plus another promotion  https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-black-friday-events helped with the decision making.

No comments:

Post a Comment